Subject: IS AMOS Pro CRAP ?
From: [email-masked] (Heiner Amthauer)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1993 14:12:21 +0200

I quit ! I give up. I'm desperately disappointed of AMOS Pro. I gave up using
AMOS Pro V2.0 and compiler because it wasn't compatible to 1.0 (i've told you 
before). So i decided to use AMOS Pro 1.0 and not compile the results.
Now this is what happend: I was doin a wonderfull GUI together with a
friend. It was just great with all that clicking and popup menu stuff you can
ever imagine. We worked about 20 hours to finish it but we can't because a
very strange problem appeared. The code looked like following:

...
tmp$ = date$
Repeat
  _error = 0
  date$ = tmp$
  _input[x,y,num,date$]
  date$ = Param$
  ...
  ...
Until _error = 0
...

_input[] is a function like the EDit zone command from the Pro Interface
(which doesn't work either. That's why i wrote it myself). It displays the
text at a defined position and you can edit it. After pressing RETURN it's
finished. So, _input[] uses local variables. And now guess what you can find
in tmp$ if the result of _input[] was wrong ? The original contents of date$ ?
Yeah, you wish ! But what really happens is, that tmp$ contains the value of
Param$ even before i passed Param$ to date$. Hope you can follow. Now, can you
imagine this ? tmp$ is mentioned only twice in the code and it absolutely
couldn't be affected by _input[] but the contence is destroyed anyway. Now, i
went mad. This is to much. How can anyone write a good progy if such things
happen ? Besides the source was only 40k size. I've checked it all out. There
is absolutely no error in the code. The changing of the varibales in _input[]
effects also the tmp$ which should be impossible, but isn't. 

So, at the end i say, that i'll probably change to Blitz Basic. And if this
won't work either i'll try C again (I hate C).

Any comments ?

(btw. did you notice that the Locate x,y command destroys part of the screen ?)

greetings
------------------------------------------------------------   
  Heiner Amthauer  email: [email-masked]
                                                   /
     __  /    /          __  /                    / ___  /
    /   /    /    /     /   /     ___/   /   /   /     /
   /   /    /    /     /   /     /      /   /   /    / 
  /   /   ____  __/   /   /     /      /   /   /   /
_____/       __/    _____/   __/    ______/ __/  ______/

  IRC: IceMc  (RaytraceMan)
------------------------------------------------------------